Hackintosh 1005HA/1005HAB, etc Part 4-Updating to 10.6.4 and 10.6.5
Ok, so you’ve installed Snow Leopard and its at the right resolution, etc. But I presume you want to be able to update? Ok, this is how you do it.
Right now, you are on 10.6.0. But a lot of programs require you to be on at least 10.6.2. We’re going to get you to 10.6.5. This part is just time consuming, but not terribly difficult.
1) Download the 10.6.4 Combo update. I stress the COMBO UPDATE part. Now, go to the /Macintosh HD/system/library/extentions folder and backup the “AppleIntelGMA950.kext” and the “AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext”. Simply right click them and select copy and paste them onto your desktop.
2) Mount the 10.6.4 update and run it. This will take about 10-20 mins so go pee from those 2 beers, and on your way back, grab a third. Once this is done, DO NOT PRESS THE RESTART BUTTON! Minimize the window because you will need to hit that button later.
3) Plug the USB that has the downloaded folder on it and go the to Mach Kernel 10.6.4 folder. Copy that Kernel file to your desktop.
4) Now open terminal and type the following commands
*sudo -s (and then enter password)
*mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
*cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
* mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
*chown 0:0 mach_kernel
The “*” above are not what you type into terminal, they are just bullet points.
At this point you can restart your computer using the Installer Update window you minimized. If all goes well you will be back in OS X updated to 10.6.4, but with the graphics at the wrong resolution again.
5) Copy the Kexts you have on your desktop back into /system/library/extentions. Also, navigate to the USB that has the downloaded folder on it and go to the Wifi folder, called “IO80211Family.kext”. Copy the wifi kext into the /system/library/extentions folder too.
6) Now run pfix again (located in Macintosh HD). This will take 10-20 mins or even less, depending. After its finished, restart and your graphics AND STOCK WIFI should be working perfectly! Congrats! Now we need to update to 10.6.5
7) In order to update to 10.6.5, you need to download the 10.6.5 COMBO UPDATE! Once you download it, repeat steps 1-6 again, only you’ll find the new Kernel in the “Mach Kernel 10.6.5” this time, and backup the “IO80211Family.kext” in addition to the other 2 graphics kexts from before.
If all goes well, you will now have a 10.6.5 fully functional hackintosh machine. As always, if you have problems, feel free to email me at email@example.com or comment on the post you are having trouble with. Enjoy!